Sunday, June 7, 2009

Anticancer: A New Way of Life

Wow time just fly’s by if you’re not watching.

As you go through your treatments and surgery’s your appetite will change. I told people that it didn’t matter to me if I ate the pizza or the box it came in. They both tasted the same. Chemo and radiation will do that to you and much more.

As I mentioned in my last posting your immune system is going to take a beating. You will need to do everything you can to keep your immune system strong and take on as much healthy nutrition as you can.

There are many books on cancer diets, some are pretty good and others I’m not sure I agree with. The use of refined sugars and flours for me anyway are off the chart bad and I try to avoid them at all cost.

One book that every cancer patient and anyone that does not want cancer needs is by David Servan-Schreiber, MD, PhD, Anticancer: A New Way of Life. You will find the link to his book to the right of this posting. Via this link you will also see a great video by Doctor David Servan-Schreiber.

The book is filled with information on diet and supplements to help prevent and fight cancer. Of all the books we purchased over the past 18 months in my journey with cancer this one book stands above the rest.

One other area that affected me during my chemo treatments was a side effect known as neuropathy. Here is a link to Wikipedia for the detailed explanation of neuropathy. Here’s my explanation: The loss of feeling in your fingers and feet. You still have a sense of your fingers and feet that is very uncomfortable to say the least.

I was even put on a clinical trail for a new paste drug for neuropathy. Sorry to say this drug did not work for me. The only thing that I found that helped was an energy drink that has no sugar and large amounts of B vitamins. Still today I drink XS Energy drinks to help me get enough B vitamins.

I would drink one to two cans a day during my treatments and it helped within 15-20 minutes of finishing the can. Today I drink about the same amount, but now it’s to load my immune system with the vitamin B complex’s that help me fight cancer.

Now in THE NEWS: FDA Approves Drug for Dogs' Cancer – This may not seem like a big deal unless you are a pet owner. In the past little or nothing was done for our pets with cancer. Today there is hope for them as well.

As I always do, I hope that this information is useful in some way.

Enjoy the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment