Sunday, June 13, 2010

You Fighting Cancer – Burzynski Treatment Week 26

Beating the “Averages”
 
Well the best news to report this week is my rash is much better. I’ve started taking 2 different drugs; Doxycycline and Methylprednisolone. Doxycycline is a antibiotic and Methylprednisolone is a steroid, I don’t know which one is working, but one of them seems to be. I will let you know how this progresses.

 
I’m still waiting for the detail reports on the last CT scan and genetic blood work from Dr. Burzynski’s clinic. I expect to hear from them this coming week. Early report’s on the CT scan is everything is “going well”. 

 
I refer to David Servan-Schreiber book Anti-Cancer A New Way of Life (Link to the right of this post) and I will continue to do so for the great information that is in the book for anyone that has cancer or anyone that wants to do all they can to keep from getting cancer. There are no guarantees in life that cancer will not find its way to your door steps, but get yourself as health as you can before it gets there. I pray it never finds its way to you or your loved ones.

 
I visited with Molly this past weekend and she was telling me that she did many of the right things to be healthy, the exercising and the o.k. diet plan, but said she still smoked. Now she tried to justify that by saying that she only smoked 2 cigarettes a day. I told her about our dear friend we buried not but a few weeks ago from lung cancer, I went on to tell her it was not if she would pay the piper someday, it was a matter of when she paid the piper. There is no justification for smoking!

 
I know we all can do better to be healthier and no one has the perfect routine in life, but as I have said before if you take the first step and just one step at a time in the right direction you will be in a better place, mentally and physically if a serious illness ever comes your way. The first steps are to reduce processed sugar and flour from you diet as much as possible. 

 
One of the things that I struggled with and at times still do, only because it is shoved in-front of us all the time are the statistics of cancer and fear of certain death from this illness. Sad to say death is certain and we always wish or think we have more time than we do, but… Now you know why I always end my postings with ENJOY THE DAY!

 
Back to the stats of cancer; you always hear if you have cancer the “average” life span for your cancer type or Stage is so many days, months, years. In David Servan-Schreiber book comes a statement that I hold fast to now; “Statistics are information, not condemnation. The objective, when you have cancer and want to combat fatality, is to make sure you find yourself in the long tail of the curve”, in other words the average.

 
The curve that biologist Stephen Jay Gould is talking about in the book states that 50% of the people of a given type of cancer have X number of days, months, or years… to live on “average”. Those with a typically un-healthy life style and wish not to change are on the left  hand side of the curve (short life span - typically) and on the right hand side are the other 50% which are those that adopt an active roll in taking charge of their cancer and typically out live the “average”. 


 
Stephen Jay Gould was diagnosed with cancer and was given 8 months to live (the “average”). He went on to live another 20 years and die of another disease. He put himself in position to be on the right hand side of the curve. 

 
For many, many months I read and listened to those that gave the stats on my type and Stage of cancer and limited myself to not believing I could beat the “averages” and not to continue living life. It finally hit me that I was wasting time and just waiting for the average date to arrive. With my wife, family and friends who give me incredible support and positive direction and who helped me finally decided I was going to be on the right hand side of the curve. Besides my wife would not allow me to be on the left hand side of the curve.

 
If you want to learn what Dr. David Servan-Schreiber talks about in his book for beating the “averages” click on his book to the right of this posting. I’m sure you will hear me talk much more about his book in weeks and months to come as well as other books that I find helpful in this journey. 

 
Until then – You Keep Fighting Cancer and ENJOY THE DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment