Sunday, December 6, 2009

You Fighting Cancer - Day 6 Burzynski Clinic

Day 6
It has been a very busy week here in Houston. “You Fighting Cancer” is a lot of work, or should I say a lot of tests.

I brought a current CT scan with me, but orders were written for extensive blood work, P.E.T. Scan, EKG on my heart and more blood lab work. The results of all the tests came back very quickly.

I spent a day whole day doing EKG and P.E.T. scan testing. Of course the radiology imaging lab was 40 minutes from here. The traffic in the 4th largest city is little crazy.

We sat down with a doctor in radiology to go over my P.E.T. scan results. This is the first time we had seen an actual scan result, though I’ve had 3 P.E.T. scans now. The results showed 3 cancer tumors. One that was inactive, one that is 3cm and one that is 7cm in size.

I’ve been put on a regiment of prescriptions and supplements. I will also be taking a chemo drug twice a day. In total I will be taking about 35 pills a day. That’s a lot better than a chemo treatment. Though I will be doing chemo as well.

We also spent an hour with a nutritionist and learned a lot. The first thing we learned is that I’m starving myself. At best I’m taking in 1,000 to 1,200 calories a day at best. I should be taking in around 2,400-3,000 calories.

You know that bowl of oatmeal you eat in the morning it equates to 100 calories and that’s it. It’s not that you want to stop eating foods like your oatmeal, but you have to get your calorie intake up. So everything you eat needs to count, really count.

So, instead of that bowl of oatmeal I’m now eating bagels which would equal 8 baked potatoes. Not surprising again was fruit and vegetables have hardly any calories. I still need to eat fruit and vegetables; I just can’t make a meal of it. Protein is also needed at every meal and every snack.

The bottom line here is if you are fighting cancer your calorie intake is very important.

Here are a couple reference books that might help;

Eat to Beat Cancer by J. Robert Hatherill, Ph.D.
Nutrition: The Cancer Answer II by Maureen Kennedy Salaman
Anticancer: A New Way of Life by David Servan-Schreiber, M.D. – I talked about this in an earlier posting.

Until next time ENJOY THE DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment